City of Milledgeville

Old Elks Lodge

Milledgeville, GA

The Old Elks Lodge is a historic building in the commercial core of downtown Milledgeville.

The building was constructed c. 1926 and served as the meeting place of the local chapter of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and later as the Baldwin County Library before being vacated and falling into disrepair. Lord Aeck Sargent worked in a design/build relationship with Chris R. Sheridan & Co. General Contractors to rehabilitate the building for the City, which uses it to house its Planning and Development, Human Resources and Downtown Development offices.

The building’s exterior was rehabilitated, all new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems were designed, and the building was made fully accessible with the addition of an elevator.

The rehabilitation retained the remaining character-defining features of the building’s much-altered interior, such as pressed metal ceilings, wood floors and plaster wall finishes with wood base moldings and window casings. The design provides a sense of the original open first floor commercial space and open third floor lodge space by inserting the new offices using walls with glass transoms to maintain a visual sense of the overall space, despite the functionally required separation. The new interior provides the City with much needed office and conference space while giving new life to an important historic building.


Practice Areas

Public Buildings