Georgia State University
Cherry and Mary Emerson Music Suites
Georgia State University's (GSU) Aderhold Learning Center contains two large rehearsal spaces.
Located on the top level of the building, the music suite has 20-foot ceiling heights and is isolated from adjacent classrooms using a "room within a room" concept. This concept includes floating floors, double walls and isolated hard ceilings. Undulating wall and ceiling configurations provide excellent acoustical properties. Tuning curtains also can be pulled out or pocketed to fine-tune reverberation times.
The rooms are both fitted with ceiling-mounted microphones as well as additional microphone feeds through recessed floor boxes. In addition, the suite has the same standard integrated AV equipment as the rest of the classrooms. That equipment includes document cameras, audio, video and computer feeds to overhead projectors. Both spaces have received high marks from GSU's music faculty and students.
- Flexible enough to accommodate a full orchestra and intimate quartets.
- Large storage room and adjacent music library.
- Direct access to the building's service elevator for easy transport of large instruments.
- 120-seat, tiered room allows students to stand as well as sit.
- Storage closets large enough to accommodate a grand piano allow the space to be used as general classroom swing space when needed.