Miller Theater Rehabilitation
Lord Aeck Sargent led the team for the rehabilitation of the 1940's Miller Theater in Augusta.
This mid-century building was at one time the second-largest movie palace in Georgia and is one of the few remaining Art Moderne-style buildings in the country. After its closure in 1984, the building fell into disrepair. The Augusta Symphony wanted to breathe new life back into this significant historic structure, located in the heart of downtown Augusta, by transforming it into a symphony hall with flexibility for other uses including theatrical performances, amplified music performances, opera and ballet.
Additions to the existing Miller Theater include an expanded stage house to the rear of the building and expanded patron spaces and amenities through the use of a building directly adjacent to the main entrance of the Miller Theater. In addition to this expansion, modifications to the original theater are designed to refine the natural acoustics of the space for the symphony and to make the space flexible for uses. Existing historic features were restored, including an aluminum ticket booth, terrazzo flooring, plaster, wood and marble features, original art moderne doors and lighting fixtures, and the original façade, which includes stucco, glass block, aluminum fins and a large marquee.
In collaboration with 2KM Architects in Augusta.
Practice AreasPublic Buildings
Theatres & Auditoriums