Terrell Hall & Peabody Laboratory and Auditorium Rehabilitation
Georgia College & State University
One of the oldest building’s on Georgia College’s main campus square, Terrell Hall was recently rehabilitated for used by GCSU’s Mass Communication department to allow collaboration between all media, necessary to meet today’s demands on students to have a well-rounded education.
Terrell Hall, completed in 1909 and originally used as a residence hall before being used as offices, overlooks the historic front campus. The building had not previously undergone a complete renovation, which has helped Terrell Hall retain much of its historic character. The project focused on removing inappropriate insertions from renovations in the 1960s and 1970s; improving accessibility, including the installation of an elevator; updating mechanical systems and installing HVAC; and improving energy efficiency.
The project also included the rehabilitation of the 1940 Kilpatrick and Peabody Auditorium. LAS designed the replacement of 1970s-era windows, which had drastically reduced the natural light in the building, with new custom wood windows and glass block to match the historic profiles. Interior storm windows were added to the single-pane wood windows to provide greater insulating capabilities and to improve thermal comfort.