Georgia Southern University
Sanford Hall Renovation
Georgia Southern University selected Lord Aeck Sargent in collaboration with Palmer Architects to renovate Sanford Hall, a three-story brick building constructed in 1936 to serve as a traditional men’s dormitory.
It was extensively modified in 1977 to a suite-style dormitory and was being used as such until May 2011. Although separated from the main semi-circle by a rear parking lot drive, Sanford Hall closely resembles the historical architecture of Sweetheart Circle and is considered part of Sweetheart Circle by the Georgia Board of Regents and the University. Most of the other buildings in this area of campus were originally dormitories and have been converted to office, research and classroom facilities.
The project completely renovated Sanford Hall’s interior to house the Communication Arts Department with modern furnishings and finishes. The Communication Arts Department previously occupied space in six different buildings on campus and two rental spaces off campus.
The building’s non-original wood structural system, replaced during the 1977 renovation had failed and was replaced with steel to accommodate column-free classrooms and student-operated radio and television studios. The original exterior masonry façade remained unchanged to maintain the historic Sweetheart Circle. All mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems were replaced, and the building is now ADA accessible. The team focused on maintaining the historical style and scope of the building during the renovations.
The project is LEED Silver Certified.