Houston Community College
San Jacinto Memorial Building Rehabilitation
The San Jacinto Memorial Building is the flagship building on the Houston Community College central campus.
It began life in 1914 as one of the first junior high schools in the nation (Southside Junior High School). It later became San Jacinto High School and a number of other colleges and universities held classes there over the years.
HCC purchased the building and engaged BRW and Lord Aeck Sargent (LAS) to lead its rehabilitation, with LAS responsible for the exterior restoration and BRW responsible for the interior renovation and all new construction.
This important building was restored to its historic appearance, which involved the removal of layers of built-up coatings that have encapsulated the building for decades. LAS worked with the Owner and CMR to rehabilitate the exterior within the College’s budget, while working to restore and preserve the historic character of the building.