Texas State University
Old Main Building Exterior Rehabilitation
San Marcos, TX
The beautiful Victorian Gothic Old Main originally opened in 1903 for the first class of Texas State’s Normal College and served as the only campus building until 1908.
As other buildings were added, Old Main served as Texas State’s administration building. Today, Old Main houses the College of Fine Arts and Communication and the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Designed by architect E. Northcraft, Old Main has undergone many renovations that have altered the interior. The building exterior was last rehabilitated in the early 1990s.
Lord Aeck Sargent, in collaboration with BRW, began the rehabilitation of this centerpiece of the Texas State campus in 2011 with the completion of a feasibility study and master plan. The project includes a complete re-roofing using historically appropriate pressed metal shingles and the restoration of the ornamental finials. The entire masonry exterior was cleaned, repaired and restored to its historic appearance. New historically appropriate windows and doors were made to replace those that were insensitively replaced in earlier renovations.