City of Tifton
Tifton City Hall
The City of Tifton has occupied a significant portion of the former Myon Hotel, constructed in 1906, since 1987. In July 2011, Lord Aeck Sargent was engaged to review a previous preservation plan and provide recommendations for a phased project approach to rehabilitate the City Hall portion of the historic hotel.
A “move-in” phase of work was developed to complete structural repairs, install new MEP and roofing systems and repair finishes to allow the City of Tifton to reoccupy the building. Two additional phases of work, exterior repair and interior refinish, were also recommended. The City commissioned LAS to proceed with the “move-in” phase construction documents.
Initial selective demolition uncovered additional structural requirements, and, as the rehabilitation continued, additional structural repair needs were discovered. The structural reinforcing and repairs throughout the building are hidden within the original and existing decorative elements and wall surfaces. Only in the basement are new building systems visible.
Brushed stainless steel handrails and guardrails were installed to meet accessibility requirements and compliment the refinished historic wood and terrazzo floors. The handrails and guardrails wind from the staircase on the first floor up to the third floor, where abundant natural light pours through a new skylight.
At the completion of the rehabilitation project, the original Myon Hotel front desk was located in a privately owned storage area. It is back at the Myon, on permanent loan to the City, and greets occupants and visitors alike.