University of Kentucky
Patterson Hall Landscape
Lord Aeck Sargent transformed Historic Patterson Hall in Lexington from a dormitory into a Living/Learning Center with state-of-the-art technology and a combination of educational and residential space.
Built in 1903, Patterson Hall is a significant structure at the University of Kentucky. It was the first women’s dormitory built for the university and has served as home to thousands of students for 110 years. The final design remains as close to the original building as possible, while giving new life to the architectural centerpiece of the north campus.
Lord Aeck Sargent’s Landscape Architecture, Education and Historic Preservation practice areas worked closely to develop thoughtful landscape design that gave a nod to the original campus plan, which was designed in the 1870s. A wide pedestrian walkway connecting Patterson’s front door to South Limestone, a prominent retail street adjacent to campus, is flanked by limestone seat walls and highlights a newly-opened view to Patterson’s front façade. The new landscape design also includes a crushed brick pathway with seating beneath large shade trees. Large-caliper oaks along the pathway mimic the crushed path that originally existed within Patterson’s front yard in the early part of the 20th Century.