University of Michigan
Michigan Memorial Phoenix Laboratory
Ann Arbor, MI
The Phoenix Memorial Laboratory Building, built in 1955 as a three-story nuclear energy research facility has been renovated and expanded to support multi-disciplinary energy research.
The project scope includes abatement of hazardous materials, significant upgrade of the building’s mechanical and electrical infrastructure, restoration of the masonry exterior, replacement of the exterior windows, complete renovation of three floors of laboratories, and a small addition to house collaborative office and administrative spaces for the Michigan Memorial Phoenix Energy Institute.
Phase 1 included the renovation of the 3rd floor for Fuel Cell Research including building systems infrastructure upgrades.
Phase 2, included the renovation of the 2nd floor for Michigan Energy Institute to house battery and energy chemistry research and a 10,000 sf expansion of lab and lab support space.