Arkansas Department of Public Health
Arkansas Public Health Laboratory
Little Rock, AR
Lord Aeck Sargent, in association with local architect The Wilcox Group, provided architectural, laboratory and biocontainment design services for the Arkansas Public Health Laboratory.
The new Arkansas laboratory provides testing for safe food and drinking water, detects inherited genetic disorders in newborns, and helps safeguard Arkansans of all ages against infectious diseases such as sexually transmitted diseases, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, rabies, and West Nile virus, as well as chemical and biological agents of terrorism.
- Flexible laboratory to handle surges and changes in testing needs and equipment
- 45,500 sf of BLS-2 laboratories and 4,000 sf BSL-3 containment space for microbiology and tuberculosis testing
- First responder facility for chemical and biological terrorism
- Sustainable design strategies aimed at decreasing operational costs
- Efficient work flow to handle large volume of samples
- High quality work environment to attract and retain the best laboratory staff