Georgia Department of Public Health
Georgia Public Health Laboratory
The Georgia Public Health Laboratory provides testing for molecular biology, virology, immunology, microbiology, bacteriology, newborn screening, parasitology, bio/chemical terrorism preparedness and training.
Lord Aeck Sargent was tasked to make functionality, without compromising the work environment, a key goal for the building.
Building materials were chosen primarily for their durability, cost-effectiveness, and environmental qualities. The sustainable design and construction methods have resulted in lower energy and maintenance costs. The Lab’s high-performance, energy efficient design strategies were featured in a Labs21 Case Study.
- Flexible laboratories to handle surges and changes in testing needs and equipment
- Provide safe and secure environments to handle BSL-3 level agents
- Low maintenance, energy efficient laboratories to reduce operational costs
- Efficient work flows to handle large volumes of samples
- High quality work environments to attract and retain the best laboratory staff
- Floor plans based on sample flow and testing processes