Freeman Hall Expansion
Lord Aeck Sargent was tasked with designing an addition to Freeman Hall, which was built in 1926.
Freeman Hall was the first building designed by Rudolph E. Lee on the campus. It houses the industrial engineering department. Most of the original building’s design has been lost through various renovations and additions over the years.
The addition includes an auditorium, faculty offices, graduate workstations, public spaces designed for student collaboration, administration suite, conference room and team areas and a faculty break room.
The site design goal of the addition, which is located at a prominent location on campus that fronts Fernow Street, was to provide and enhance connectivity of the addition to both the campus and the existing building.
Women in Science and Engineering (WISE), which supports females in engineering and science majors, and Programs for Educational Enrichment and Retention (PEER), which serves student groups underrepresented in math, science and engineering, are also located in Freeman Hall.