Michigan State University

Marshall-Adams Hall Rehabilitation

East Lansing, MI

Constructed in 1902 on “Laboratory Row,” Marshall-Adams Hall was the original Bacteriology Building on the MSU campus.

Over the past 50 years, the building underwent a series of unsympathetic renovations to meet the ever-increasing need for administrative space. To re-establish the character of this historic landmark, incompatible additions were removed to return the building to its original footprint. In addition, missing elements were restored, most notably the chimney, roof cresting and finials; windows and wood trim were repainted in their original colors. The project also included window and roof replacement, masonry cleaning and repair and the reconstruction of a historic breeze-way.

The interior design concept recaptured many of the important character-defining features of the historic spaces that were documented through historic photographs and paint analysis. Wood trim details, a two-tone color palette, and a more sympathetic lighting scheme were re-established.

The monumental stair was restored and new fire stairs were built to meet current building codes, a new elevator was installed to solve ADA issues, the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems were replaced. The initial phase of an area-wide landscape plan was also part of the project scope.


Practice Areas

College & University