University of North Carolina
Medical Biomolecular Research Building
Chapel Hill, NC
The Medical Biomolecular Research Building was developed to house a variety of research types related to the growing field of Biomolecular Research. Connected to two adjacent research facilities, the research center is contextually sensitive to its neighbors, yet it possesses distinguishing characteristics.
The building’s laboratory space was designed to accommodate ever-changing research trends and provide flexibility for changing departmental assignments.
This nine-story building contains:
- 500-seat and 200-seat auditoriums
- Video conferencing and distance learning
- 177,000 gsf of biomolecular research labs
- 24,000 gsf of dry laboratory space
- Support and mechanical space
- Interstitial service corridors